Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Turkey and Tomato Panini

With an hour commute, the earliest I ever arrive home is 5 pm, and this happens on Mondays. Which is a good thing. Because I'm always a little extra sleepy on Mondays. And it's a perfect time to go grocery shopping for the week or start preparing whatever I'll be taking to school for lunch. 

Except this past Monday, my fellow carpoolers forgot to tell me we would be staying until 5 pm until after we had arrived on campus. Admittedly, I was a little grumpy that I'd have to wait an extra hour (which turned out to be two) to get home, go grocery shopping, and watch my DVR recordings while cooking. But I did get a lot of recipe browsing and pinning done while I sat outside (the weather was pretty amazing on Monday) waiting for my ride. And since I was already quite hungry and knew I had at least another hour and a half ahead of me before I could get to cooking, I decided to go for something quick. 

I've been craving good, hearty sandwiches lately. I hardly ever make a regular sandwich at home because I just don't think it tastes that good. My lettuce isn't crunchy enough, my tomatoes are too mealy, or I can't find the right condiment. But I've come across the pin for this turkey and tomato panini quite a few times recently, and it just looked so creamy and tasty. So I gave it a whirl. And it was delicious! Super delicious!

They key to this sandwich is the creamy Parmesan basil mayo. Make it. Even if you think you don't like mayo, make it. You will want to put it on everything! I already have big plans to make it a star in an upcoming grilled veggie sandwich...

Turkey and Tomato Panini
slightly adapted from EatingWell


  • 3 Tbsp mayo 
  • 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil 
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • pepper to taste
  • whole-wheat bread
  • oven-roasted deli turkey
  • sliced heriloom tomato
  • spreadable butter

To make the spread, combine mayo, yogurt, Parmesan, basil, and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix well. Season with pepper to taste. 

Preheat your panini press (I used my Griddler, but you could make this in a regular pan by using a plate to weigh down your sandwich as it toasts on each side). Butter the outsides of your bread. Spread a few teaspoons of the "jacked up" mayo on the inside of each slice of bread. Layer on the tomato and turkey. Place the sandwich in the press and grill until golden and crispy on both sides. 

I served my sandwiches with a salad of mixed greens lightly dressed in lime olive oil and cranberry pear balsamic vinegar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment