Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Let Them Eat Cake!

These past two weeks have been a whirlwind. Somewhere between grading assignments, calculating midterm grades, and trying to keep all of my students on track as we began delving into more complex grammar, I forgot(!) to read my favorite blogs and write in my own! Good thing next week is our fall break! A whole uninterrupted five days to read, reflect, and write. 

I can't really complain though, because I got to spend most of this last week with my hunny. This was a bit of a longer visit, so we were able to balance the fun outings with down time. And then there was the eating fest. It kicked off with our favorite take-out Chinese on Thursday night, followed by Thai on Friday, hibachi on Saturday, authentic Chinese on Sunday, and Middle Eastern and Indian on Monday. It was truly impressive. Good thing we walked to a few of the restaurants and took a tour around DePauw's campus. There was also the shopping we did at the mall...that counts as walking, right? I mean, I was exhausted after...

It was all so good. So, so good. But, if I had to pick a favorite meal, it'd have to be the hibachi. It's been kind of a special date-night meal for us. But, the real reason I love hibachi? THE LOBSTA'! I love me some lobster. Even without butter, it still tastes like butter! And it's tender and just the right amount of chewy, and...(sigh), it's just so so good. Mike likes to tease me about my lobster indulgence, but it's okay, because he finds it charming. I can tell. So I go along with it (except I really do love it that much). Once, when we were on vacation, I declared that we had to return to the same restaurant the next day for lunch so that I could order the lobster pasta with lemon cream sauce. It was just a sandwich place, so I humbly ordered a tuna salad plate on the first day (it would have been too extreme to get lobster pasta on a whim), but once I pointed it out to Mike and having adequately prepared him, I felt like I could order it the next time around. And return the next day we did! My lunch cost $17; his cost $9. 
At Panini, Panini in Michigan City, Indiana
But the best lobster happens at hibachi restaurants. Served sizzling in butter, soy sauce, and garlic, it is the most tender and tasty lobster you will ever have. I portion out my bites of lobster so that I can have bites of utter happiness throughout the entire meal. 

And the gluttony didn't end there, no sir! On Sunday evening, after a meal of eggplant with potato and green pepper and potato and a stew of kimchi and tofu, we had a dessert party with Misti and Eddy. Our contribution was a delicious chocolate cake that I'd been eyeing on Pinterest. As much as I love cake, I've never been a huge fan of homemade chocolate cake because I've often found that it lacks richness and true chocolatey goodness. But this recipe promised to be different because it contained a secret ingredient: espresso powder! And it was totally delicious! I ate a piece, Sunday, Monday, yesterday and will likely have the last piece today. I mean, I'm leaving town on Friday and can't let a good piece of cake go to waste...

The Best Chocolate Cake {Ever}
From Robyn Stone / Add a Pinch

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp espresso powder (in the coffee aisle at the supermarket)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Frosting
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup cocoa powder
5 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp espresso powder 

Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray or with butter and flour. Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine and remove any lumps. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix on medium speed until combined well. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to batter. Beat on high for about a minute to add air to the batter. Distribute batter evenly between cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes (I think my oven runs hot; I pulled them out after 27 minutes) until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from the pans. Cool completely on rack before frosting. 

To make the frosting:

Add cocoa to a large bowl and whisk to remove lumps. Cream together the butter and cocoa powder. Add sugar and milk to cocoa mixture by adding 1 cup of sugar followed by about a tablespoon of milk. Repeat until all sugar and milk have been added. Add vanilla extract and espresso powder and combine well.

(I like to store the cake in the fridge and let it warm up a bit on the counter before I serve it. The frosting softens quite quickly but you still get the benefit of having chilled cake. I also make sure to have lots of milk on hand. Or red wine...)

No comments:

Post a Comment