Monday, September 30, 2013

Apple Dumplings

This past weekend was pretty phenomenal. It was so nice to have uninterrupted time with Mike. We had meals with friends, got started on season nine of The Office, and even took a nap together! It was the perfect balance of fun plans and quiet alone time. Here's a picture we snapped before heading to Finch's for dinner!

On Saturday we headed to Apple Works for some famous apple dumplings and pumpkin picking. I just read Janssen's post today that includes a recipe for double chocolate pumpkin cookies (I'll be making those this week!), and had to laugh at her comment that "admitting to not loving pumpkin in probably blog suicide." I, myself, enjoy pumpkin, but do you know what I do not enjoy? Apple desserts. I am sure you either just gasped or yelled "whuaaat?!" in the way that I do when I hear something that is completely incomprehensible. Don't get me wrong,  I love the gooey texture of baked apples and the spice added by cinnamon and clove, but I do not like the crust that seems to accompany most apple desserts. It's the crust! I don't like the crust! So now you're really going to be shocked. I don't like pie. I'll have you know, however, that I have never once turned down a piece of cake. I love cake. Love it. Need an extra bridesmaid? Invite me along to your cake tasting and I'm in! I'm now thinking about Cate's wedding cake. It was so delicious. Best. cake. ever. Which is why it makes me sad that so many people think pie is superior to cake. My wedding will be all about the cake. And the love that Mike and I share, of course. (But the cake will be the star!)

So back to these famous apple dumplings. I wanted to like them, but they were encased in crust and swimming in some sort of thin sugary sauce. I knew I wouldn't love it. I tried a bit of Mike's and the apple filling was good. I just wished that it was tender, soft dough wrapped around the apple instead of that gluey crust. For those of you who know exactly what I'm talking about, who love the way yeast donuts and fritters compress when you sink your teeth in them and can't get enough of that chewiness each divine bite brings, these are apple dumplings made for you. They are light and fluffy and tender. And although no cake, they are an ideal dessert for a crisp fall day. 

Country Apple Dumplings
(slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com)

4  Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
2 packages of crescent roll dough
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 (12 oz) can of Mountain Dew

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Cut each apple into quarters and set aside (the original recipe suggests cutting them into 8 wedges, but I like having extra apple in my dumplings). Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end and then tuck the sides around. It may not seal completely, but make sure you have pinched as much of the dough together as possible. 

Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour evenly over the apple dumpling. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings. 

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in preheated oven until golden brown. 
Serve with vanilla ice cream and homemade whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment