Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fall in Bloomington

Three years ago I moved to Bloomington to begin my grad school career. I had just returned from Taiwan, where I had lived for two years, so I was feeling a bit homesick. But then the fall came and I felt revitalized-- as much as I had loved living in Taiwan, I had longed for crisp falls and changing leaves. I strolled to campus and took pictures along the way, amazed at how beautiful the area was. 

And Bloomington didn't just deliver on quintessential fall weather, it also introduced me to some of my best friends. Through searching for a potential roommate I found Andrea, a fellow Marylander who had also studied Chinese and was studying Chinese politics and my first friend in Bloomington. At orientation I clicked with Jess, who happened to be studying Chinese linguistics just like me and is probably the only person who can tell me exactly how it is and I'll listen without getting upset, knowing she's right. I couldn't wait to see who would take the apartment next to mine, and in a few days I would meet Amanda, a cute little red head with bangs, and her puppy Finnegan who would get so excited every time he saw me that he'd tinkle on my shoes (I would eventually learn how to great him with a wide stance). Amanda would only live next door for a semester, but her move across town couldn't stop us from nights filled with homemade dinners, cocktails, horrible movies, and baked goods. Amanda was speedy and finished her degree in a year and a half, I've been without her company for the past few years, but this past August I had the honor of being a bridesmaid in her wedding. I was happy to discover the Finnegan still couldn't hide his excitement upon seeing me, and, even after a long stint apart, peed on my foot. And three years ago I took my first Zumba class and met Trisha, the tiniest, bounciest girl ever. Last spring, after three studios and a year and half of causal chatting, we were designing programs for her wedding in her living room. Trisha and her husband Grant included me in their very small and intimate wedding weekend in St. John last May, and the friendship really took off from there. With Trisha in med school and Grant working long hours as an emergency RN, I began going over to their place to cook once a week. We'd all have dinner together and then Trisha and I would continue to study while Grant did the dishes. We'd watch football, they'd hear about all of my (disastrous) dating adventures, and finally, when I sure I had found a good one, they met Mike. The four of us had a Christmas celebration before winter break began, and a few months later, Trisha would tell me (first!) that she and Grant had their first baby on the way! We have plans later today to make our favorite chicken and dumplings recipe while watching football in our usual fashion. 

These ladies have all played important roles in my life and have been the source of so many wonderful memories. The past month has been a bit difficult as Mike moved to Pennsylvania and I started my career while trying to finish my degree, but it's hard to not to feel thankful on a beautiful fall day when you realize that exactly every experience you have had in a place has led you to meet wonderful people who have shaped your life in more ways than you sometimes realize. 

And in honor of these girls and the fall, here are a few of my favorite pictures. 

    My first trip to the farmers market with Andrea. We split breakfast from the little French restaurant.


 This abandoned building has since been demolished and replaced with a Bloomingfoods, but I kind of liked the way its colors popped with the blue sky and the yellow leaves. 
 Woodburn Hall where I spent two years teaching Chinese. 


 Trip to Nashville, IN with Trisha and Grant last fall when my aunt came to visit. 
Presenting at the East Asian Psycholinguistics Conference last fall at Ohio State University. Jess (on my left) and I made a little weekend out of it and shared a hotel and an excellent dinner both nights.
Amanda and me celebrating her birthday. We sacheted into Buffalo Wild Wings in our cute outfits completely unaware that there was some huge March Madness game on. We stopped to get gourmet chocolates and then headed to the grocery store to pick up a movie and a birthday cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment