Monday, August 26, 2013

A Soup History

French onion soup is my favorite! Even as a kid, I loved the soggy bread soaked in broth and the tender onions. My brother, on the other hand, only ordered it for the bubbly cheese on top...and got in trouble for it. Winter was always vegetable soup weather. I remember eating bowls of it while watching Redskins games. Then in high school, my aunt and grandma would go to the Amish farmer's market on the weekends and bring back containers of the most delicious chicken noodle soup. Yet somehow I never thought to make soup at home. Until...

Last October, I got sick just before I was set to go to a conference. It was chilly and I had spent the night working at a college fair, so I was feeling pretty yucky. I had been dating my beau Mike for just about a month, and when he volunteered to bring me something, I asked for soup. I thought he'd stop at Panera or maybe a Chinese restaurant, so my heart melted when he showed up with homemade soup! Mike is a vegetarian, so he chose a delicious lentil soup. It would be another four months before we said "I love you", just after Valentine's Day, but I think I fell in love with him a little that night. 

Now, I seek out soup recipes. I'm a huge fan of Smitten Kitchen's lentil soup with sausage, chard and garlic for the tomato base, the punch of garlic, and the hint of richness and heat from the sausage (I opt for using a lighter amount) and can also vouch for this french onion soup recipe (although I should probably be even more patient when browning the onions next time) and this delightfully sour Thai coconut curry soup. I've got my eyes set on some pretty tasty looking mushroom soup that I plan to make at the first hint of fall. For now, please enjoy the lentil soup that led me to love.

Mike's Lentil Soup 
(from Jolinda Hacket)


1 medium white onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1 cup whole lentils
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Comically large handful of raw spinach, coarsely chopped

Sautee onion and carrot in a bit of olive oil for 5 minutes. Add stock, lentils, bay leaves, thyme, pepper, salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 40 minutes. Take out bay leaves. Add spinach, let simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in lemon juice.

(It’s that easy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment