Monday, August 26, 2013

I've Got a Voice

I started my first blog when I moved to Taiwan to be a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant. For me, Nihao from Nicki seemed to be the perfect way to share my adventures in Taiwan with my friends and family back home. I treasure all of the entries I wrote and still read them every now and again as a way to feel a little bit closer to the friends and family I found there. 

As much as I loved writing for my blog, my life seemed way less exciting when I moved back to the States and it was hard to find inspiration to write. I wrote a bit here and there on some of the more difficult days when I felt like I needed to reflect, but I was mostly just busy being a student. Somehow, as I began to accept that I did not, in fact, want to go on to do a PhD and that I could see a number of careers in my future, I decided to focus on doing more of the other things that I love. I took a part-time job at a local florist because I had always wanted to work in a flower shop, started reading blogs that made me happy, requested more appliances for Christmas than my teeny tiny kitchen could hold, and got reacquainted with my artistic side as I helped my friends prepare for their weddings. 

At my dear friend Cate's wedding this past weekend, I found myself chatting with the photographer over some late-night pizza. Some pretty delicious pizza, actually. I've been thinking about it so much that I will probably have to recreate it this weekend. Think bursting heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, doughy crust, balsamic drizzle.... But back to the story. I was chatting with the photographer, and suddenly she asked if I had a blog. So I told her the very story that I opened with here. And then something amazing happened. She told me that I had a unique voice, that I had things to say. That I should write. Now, I'm not an expert on anything. But I do love sharing stories and connecting with people. So here, I hope to do just that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment