Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Home

It's 8:50 pm. I start my first day of work tomorrow and all I've done is prepped the syllabus. I have two sets of textbooks I'm teaching from, so there are units to be over-viewed and ice breaking activities to be planned, yet here I am blogging. 

Tonight I prepared a lemon basil pasta with grilled chicken and bruschetta for dinner. It was the first meal I cooked for my family now that I'm settled back in my childhood home. Growing up, and even during college breaks, my grandma did the cooking. To her, cooking was mostly about heating canned foods in a pan and putting frozen meals in the oven, but it was her station in the household. I have always enjoyed cooking, but it didn't really become a hobby of mine until grad school when I was on my own in my tiny little kitchen and relied on cooking meals and baking treats as a break from a long day of classes and studying. I'd plan fancy menus that I cooked for friends on the weekend. Hearty chicken and dumplings and Thai red curry with shrimp were perfect for fall days, and if I really wanted to go all out, mini spiced molten chocolate cakes or a pumpkin spice bunt cake for dessert. During the summer we'd make fresh berry desserts and homemade sangria. 

Now at home I have to think a bit more responsibly, planning nutritious meals that meet the approval of my brother, a fairly picky eater. Pretty soon it will be even trickier as I try to figure out how to juggle the vegetarian recipes Mike and I usually cook while making sure that my brother is happy with dinner. It's a little strange to think that I am about to start a new schedule while living with my family. Since graduating from high school I've lived on my own. I haven't really had to worry about anything other than doing what I pleased for the evening. Having that kind of freedom was liberating. I could get a solid night of work done or I could just veg out and be alone with my thoughts. I remember there were times when I wondered if it was a little odd that I'd spoken to no one (except the cat) that day, but now I realize how incredibly calming it is to have private time where you don't have to answer to anyone else. I have the freedom to come and go as I please at home, but it is still very different coexisting with others than it is to be the only one who has the key to an entire private space that you call your own. 

It'll take some time to adjust. It will take some time to get used to my work commute. I commuted an hour last year to Greencastle, but a quiet drive on a two-lane country highway passing through picturesque field is a lot different than heavy traffic on the city highway. But as I settle into my new teaching position, I suspect that I'll quickly adjust to getting off at 1:30 pm and having Fridays off. There will be time for Zumba classes and dinner dates with friends. Being in Maryland for the fall will mean the reinstating of old family traditions like driving out to Gettysburg, PA to see the foliage, a trip to the outlet mall, and carving pumpkins. There will be plenty of things to look forward to. The fact that I am able to celebrate Mer's birthday with her and her family tomorrow in the first time in years is just one of them. 

Here is to being home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment